OnlyFans content creator

OnlyFans Saw Almost 350,000 Requests for Content Creator Accounts in February, Less than Half Approved

Published April 13, 2023

Despite the general thinking that most OnlyFans creators make six-figure earnings, only a handful of people earn a lot from posting the content on the platform. Nevertheless, requests for new content creator accounts continue to rise. Still, most of them are being rejected.

According to data presented by, OnlyFans saw almost 350,000 requests for content creator accounts in February, and less than half were approved.

The Number of Content Creators Surged 500% in Two Years

Although OnlyFans was launched in 2016, the platform’s popularity exploded in 2020 and 2021 amid the COVID-19 lockdown. Despite the company’s efforts to claim its platform allows celebrities to monetize their social media following, the site’s main attraction remains adult content, which has been a subject of controversy.

But the number of OnlyFans` content creators continues rising despite them. According to Axios data, in 2019, the London-based social and video platform had around 348,000 content creators. Over the next twelve months, this figure jumped to 1.6 million and continued rising. In 2021, the number of content creators surged to 2.1 million, showing a massive 503% increase in just two years.

OnlyFans user count also skyrocketed in this period. In 2019, the platform had 13.5 million users worldwide. By the end of 2020, the total user count increased six times and hit 82.3 million. Statistics show around 190 million people used OnlyFans in 2021, indicating a massive 1,300% increase in two years.

Around 300 OnlyFans Creators Make $1 Million a Year

The OnlyFans business model is built on charging a commission per successful fan payment. The platform acts as a marketplace for adult performers, who upload their material and keep 80% of the revenue. The remaining 20% goes to OnlyFans.

Although the platform never gave out information on the average earnings of their creators, based on the estimation of XSRUS, a median OnlyFans creator account makes around $180 per month in earnings before taxes.

The SighHouse data showed that only around 300 content creators make more than a million dollars a year. Another 16,000 of them earn $50,000 or more. The majority earns much less from posting their content on the platform.

Jastra Kranjec

Jastra is an editor, writer, and PR specialist with years of experience in news, research, and report writing. Over the years, she has covered different topics and markets, including social media, digital content, the creator economy and the entertainment industry.